Right wing news gives almost no coverage to Trump’s ‘announcement’
Trump probably isn’t blow away by coverage of his announcement. Pun completely intended.
By Jessica Huseman
When Donald Trump first started his press-capade teasing his “very big news” about Obama, he told Fox News’s Gretchen Carlson that it would be such a shocker that news organizations would “cover it in a very big fashion.” Like the whole “very big news” thing, the bit about coverage was also entirely false – even for conservative news organizations.
Even Fox News only gave it a few seconds of air time in a few shows. It’s largest segment was on Gretta Van Susteren’s show where she went beyond just covering it and said she was “satisfied” that the birther issue was over, and pushed him on what he was hoping to get out of this.
More telling, however, is that Van Susteren didn’t even run him at the top of her show. He was the middle of the pack – where journalists put stories that don’t matter. It’s not important enough to begin with, and it’s not good enough to end with.
The underwhelming coverage on conservative news doesn’t stop at Gretta. Could it be that even conservative news organizations are getting tired of Trump? Let’s take a look:
- Fox News’ Sean Hannity’s website pulls up no results regarding the $5 million when you search “Trump,” nor is it anywhere on his homepage.
- Fox’s Special Report with Brett Baier gave it all of five seconds, and titled the bit “Trump still pushing the birther issue” – hardly positive.
- Bill O’Reilly links several stories, though none of his own, about Trump – all calling it a joke.
- Aside from a quick mention before the Trump announcement even happened, Rush Limbaugh gave the issue no coverage. Fellow conservative radio hosts, Laura Ingraham, Mike Huckabee, Glenn Beck, and Mike Gallagher offer no mention of the announcement on their websites.
- The Daily Caller dismissed the announcement by saying “What a bombshell! What does bombshell mean again? Oh, never mind.”
- Town Hall talked about the announcement in an article titled, “Silly Season.”
- Human Events, The Weekly Standard, and The Washington Free Beacon haven’t covered it at all.
- RedState.com made no real mention of it, but a dedicated reader with a diary postulated it would have an impact on the race. He was immediately shut down in the comments section.
- Hot Air covered it with an article that concluded: “How this is supposed to amount to something “gigantic” rivaling game-changer status, I can’t say.”
This isn’t slowing down Trump, though, who insists the reaction “has been incredible.”